How diabetes is related to dental health?
There are a number of complications that can arise from poor dental health. Lynn Dental Care wants to take the time to highlight the relation between diabetes and dental health. Diabetes can affect oral health in a number of ways, so we at Lynn Dental Care wants to make sure you’re informed.
- Gum disease is considered the 6th complication of diabetes
- Uncontrolled Type II diabetes are at higher risk for gum disease
- Severe periodontal disease can increase blood sugar
- Diabetics have a decreased ability to fight bacteria that invade the gums
- Diabetics are at an increased risk for thrush (fungal infection in the mouth)
- Medications can cause dry mouth (less saliva to wash away germs and acids germs create), which can cause soreness, ulcers, infections, and cavities
- Poorly controlled diabetes will cause slow healing and increase your risk for infection after dental surgery
What is Diabetes?
Diabetes is a metabolic disorder in which the person has high blood glucose (blood sugar), either because insulin production is inadequate, or because the body’s cells do not respond properly to insulin or both. There is more than one type of diabetes.
- Approximately 10% of all diabetes cases is Type I and usually develops before a person is 40 years old
- Type II accounts for 90% of all cases.
- Obesity, especially those with belly fat, are at a higher risk for Type II diabetes
Family History Link
You inherit a predisposition to diabetes then something in the environment triggers it. In most Type I cases, people need to inherit risk factors from both parents. The family history has a stronger link in Type II cases, but obesity also runs in families so it’s hard to determine if Type II diabetes is caused by the genetic link or lifestyle factors.
Contact Lynn Dental Care Today
If you are having trouble with your oral health, Lynn Dental Care can help. Here at Lynn Dental Care, we do our best to make sure you have the knowledge and tools to maintain good dental health. We offer various services such as orthodontics and general dentistry. For more information contact us or visit the Lynn Dental Care website.
Copyright GaryKadi.com. All Rights Reserved.