At Lynn Dental Care, our staff members focus on Complete Health Dentistry. We understand that the mouth is the gateway to the rest of your body. Poor oral health can result in other physical health conditions from migraines to heart disease. In fact, studies have shown that there is a significant link between migraines and Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMD).
The Link Between Migraines and TMD
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is where your lower jaw connects to the skull. Each of us have two TMJs. However, if the joint is out of alignment, it causes the muscles to strain in the face, head, and neck, even while at rest. It also causes increased blood flow, which increases
blood pressure. All of these symptoms can cause very painful TMJ headaches and migraines. If you think that you may have Temporomandibular Joint Disorder, contact us at Lynn Dental Care today. We provide quality, safe, and fast TMJ treatment.
Symptoms of TMD:
You may need to seek TMJ treatment if you experience the following symptoms:
- Sensitive/sore teeth
- Sore jaw muscles
- Pain in the head, neck, and shoulders
- Facial pain
- Ringing in the ears
- Locking of jaw
- Clicking/popping of jaw
- Limited jaw movement
- Worn/chipped teeth
What is a Migraine Headache?
Migraines are a chronic disorder characterized by recurrent moderate to severe headaches, usually affecting one side of the head, and accompanied by nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light, sensitivity to sound, and aggravated by physical activity. Below are a few important facts about migraines.
- One-third of sufferers see an aura before the pain starts.
- 10% of the world population is affected by migraines at some point in life.
- Migraines can be triggered by stress, hunger, or fatigue.
- Medications are only considered successful if they reduce the frequency or severity by 50%.
- Migraines with auras double the risk of ischemic strokes.
- Most migraines commonly start between ages 15 and 24, and are most frequent between ages 35 to 45.
- Migraines are responsible for 1% of total US medical disability.
- 25% of American families include at least one member who suffers from migraines.
- Suicide attempts are 3 times more likely among people who suffer from migraines with auras, regardless of past history of depression.
TMJ Treatment at Lynn Dental Care
At Dr. Lynn’s Dallas dentist office, he provides TMJ treatment using the latest dental technology. Dr. Lynn and his staff members will take the time to diagnose TMD, discover the causes of your TMD, and create an individualized TMJ treatment plan that best suits your needs.
Contact Lynn Dental Care
If you have questions about TMJ treatment, contact our friendly and knowledgeable staff members at Lynn Dental Care. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have about TMD and many other services we provide! Call us today at 972-934-1400.
Copyright GaryKadi.com. All Rights Reserved.