You may not realize that when you visit your dentist at Lynn Dental Care, we are not just caring for your oral health. We are also caring for your overall health. In fact, current research shows a direct link between the health of your mouth and your overall health. When you are a patient at our office, your complete health is our top priority and we want to be a part of your integrated healthcare team. This holistic care begins with oral health because your mouth is the gateway to the rest of your body.
How Oral Health Affects Overall Health
Many people think that regular cleanings and dental visits at Lynn Dental Care are just preventing cavities or other potential oral health issues. However, there are many other physical health problems that can occur due to poor oral health. Some of these conditions include:
- Diabetes: It may be surprising to hear that 95% of adults in the United States that are diagnosed with diabetes are also diagnosed with periodontal disease. This condition is a growing concern. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 29.1 million people in the United States alone have diabetes.
- Heart Disease and Stroke: If you have been diagnosed with periodontal disease, the likelihood of you experiencing a stroke or becoming diagnosed with heart disease greatly increases.
- Pregnancy and Birth: When it comes to pregnancy and birth, studies have found a strong correlation between periodontal disease and premature birth along with low birth weight.
- Respiratory Issues: Periodontal disease greatly increases you chance of having issues with your respiratory system and your lungs. Bacteria from poor oral health can make its way to your lungs and disrupt your respiratory system.Some other health conditions that poor oral health can lead to include sleep apnea, pancreatic cancer, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and obesity. At Lynn Dental Care, our commitment is to eliminate oral inflammation that puts you at increased risk for the many conditions listed above and more. We are leading the way in preventative care – not just cavity prevention.
How Lynn Dental Care Monitors Overall Health
There are several steps that the staff at Lynn Dental Care take to help you stay healthy. Your visits to our office will be more than just a hygiene cleaning. We go above and beyond to gather a complete picture of your health. By doing this, we can choose dental treatment plans that will not only leave you with a beautiful smile but also will help prevent other health issues from presenting themselves or worsening down the road. Some ways we learn about your complete health include:
- Blood Pressure Monitoring
- Oral Cancer Screening
- Full Individual and Family Health History
- Establishing a Healthy Mouth Baseline
- Soft Tissue Management
Contact Us to Set up a Consultation
Our staff at Lynn Dental Care believe that your oral health reflects the health of your body. Contact us today to set up a consultation to become a happier, healthier you. We offer many services such as TMJ treatment, oral surgery, orthodontics, cosmetic dentistry, and more.
Click on the images below to learn how the following health conditions relate to your oral health.