Silver fillings have been a regular practice in conventional dentistry for the past 150 years. These amalgam fillings contain various amounts of zinc, tin, copper and mercury. Mercury is a dangerously potent neurotoxin that makes up about 50 percent of this dental replacement material. The health of your entire body can be affected by the way that you treat your dental and oral health and amalgam fillings can put the health of your whole body at risk.
The main source of exposure to mercury from amalgam fillings is in the procedure of
implanting or removing the fillings. During these procedures, patients may be exposed to mercury vapor, which will be absorbed in the lungs and then distributed to the rest of the body’s organs. Patients may also be exposed to the neurotoxin by swallowing elemental mercury leaking from the fillings or amalgam particles that have broken off of the fillings. However, it has been proven more dangerous to remove amalgam fillings than to leave fillings that are in good condition in place.
One of the dangers of any metallic element in close contact with skin or mucous membranes is allergic skin inflammation. An allergic reaction to mercury, zinc, tin, or copper from amalgam restoration can lead to gum inflammation and painful sores or ulcers in the mouth. This irritation may expand to cause rashes on the face and beyond. In these instances, removing the amalgam filling is the safer option and will usually resolve the issue.
One of the major risks of metallic implants is the development of oral galvanism. The human body operates on a foundation of tiny electrical currents and oral galvanism occurs when a foreign source of electricity is introduced into the body. When two dissimilar metals are placed in the mouth, they begin to generate electricity. The metal in fillings can react with your saliva and lead to galvanic toxicity, which will over-stimulate the brain. This could be an effect of silver fillings, metal dental implants, or metal crowns. If you are experiencing a feeling of electric charge when using metal utensils, a metallic taste in your mouth, or chronic insomnia, you may be suffering from galvanism. In this case, you should work with your dentist to find a suitable replacement for the harmful metals in your mouth.
Although dental amalgam is still a durable and relatively cheap tooth restoration material, studies have linked them to a variety of neurological and psychological disorders. Claims have been made that these implants may contribute to the development of Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, anxiety, or depression. They have also been shown to aggravate or even trigger various autoimmune diseases.
At Lynn Dental Care, we offer the metal free dentistry to give you the healthy, radiant smile you deserve with the health of the rest of your body in mind. If you have questions about your existing metallic implants or are seeking metal free dental restoration, contact Lynn Dental Care today.