A Proactive Solution for Better Dental Health
Dental issues are more than a nuisance. If you ignore a nuisance, it typically goes away, or at least no longer bothers you. Ignore a dental infection or disease, however, and it will only spread and grow until eventually it destroys your teeth, gums, and jawbone. Even if your mouth is healthy now, it will not remain so for long if you neglect to care for it properly. To help you improve and maintain your oral health, Dallas dentist Dr. Brock Lynn outlines steps you can take to keep your mouth clean and healthy.
Steps to a Healthier Smile
- The majority of your dental health care takes place at home. You should brush a minimum of twice daily, and floss a minimum of once daily, preferably before bedtime.
- Not every toothbrush is the same. Like all successful projects, keeping your teeth clean and healthy requires the proper tools. Be sure to use a soft-bristled toothbrush with the ADA (American Dental Association) seal of approval, and replace it at least every three months (sooner if the bristles are frayed).
- Even with soft bristles, scrubbing your teeth too harshly can damage your tooth enamel and leave your teeth vulnerable to decay, in essence defeating the purpose of brushing your teeth. Instead, rub your soft-bristled toothbrush gently across every surface of every tooth, including along your gum line to clear it of bacteria.
- Avoid eating excessive amounts of sugar. Bacteria that comprise your dental plaque consume sugar and convert it into acid, which attacks your tooth enamel to pave the way for tooth decay.
- As good as your daily oral hygiene routine is, it may be all for nothing without regular dental checkups and cleanings. The ADA suggests you visit your dentist at least once every six months, or sooner, if recommended.
Make the Most of Your Smile in Dallas
If you would like to learn more about protecting your smile, or you are ready to see your Dallas Dentist, call 972-934-1400 and set up a consultation at Lynn Dental Care today. Our office is conveniently located in the 75240 area, within driving distance of communities such as Park Cities and Highland Park.